When migrating to a new host it is important to consider how email will be handled and do old emails need to be preserved. Most WordPress backup solutions will not backup email related data. That means to completely migrate to a new server you have to manually move your email. In this short tutorial I will explain how to manually migrate email from one cPanel hosting account to another cPanel hosting account.
- Log into the old cpanel account
- Compress (tar) the etc directory located at /home/user/etc
- Compress (tar) the mail directory located at /home/user/mail
- Download the .tar files
- Log into the new cpanel account
- Create the email accounts under the new hosting account.
Note: The password you set when creating the new email accounts are unimportant. They will be overwritten when you unzip the tar files.
- Upload the .tar files to the correct directory and extract the files.
- Send a test email or two to make sure everything works.